STEP 1: Obtain Application Form
Obtain the Application form from the Office of Bar Council of Delhi for a sum of INR 1000/- . The address is as below:
Bar Council of Delhi
2/6, Siri Fort Institutional Area
Khel Gaon Marg, New Delhi-49
Helpline No: +91 11 – 264 95 196
Fax No: +91 11 264 93 856
Note: Downloaded/printed enrollment form will not be accepted.
STEP 2: Completely Fill the Application Form and submit the form
The completely filled form shall be accompanied by the following key documents:
- A diploma or a certificate showing that the applicant has taken a degree in law of a University in India. A certificate showing that he is a graduate before he joined the Law Degree course and a certificate showing his date of birth.
- Certificate, in the form prescribed, as to his moral character and of his fitness to be an Advocate on the Roll of Advocate of the Bar Council of Delhi from atleast two persons of respectability and position (not being his relations).
- A declaration in writing by the applicant that he will faithfully observe and abide by all rules made by the Bar Council and the Bar Council of India.
- A declaration as to whether the applicant has made any previous application for admission as Advocate to any High Court and the result thereof.
- A declaration that he is a citizen of India or a national of a country .
- A receipt from the office of the Bar Council of Delhi that the applicant has paid the fee prescribed for enrollment under Section 24(1))(f).
- A declaration that the applicant has completed 21 years of his age on or before the day of the application.
- A declaration that the applicant is not in full or part-time employment or service.
- Other certificates, photographs, declarations and documents as per Application Form
STEP 3: Scrutiny of Application Form by Enrollment Committee
The Meetings of the Enrollment Committee of Bar Council of Delhi is generally held once or twice in a month and all the applications shall be scrutinized by the office and submitted to Enrollment Committee of the Bar Council.
The Enrollment Committee shall proceed to dispose of every application in accordance with the provisions of the Act, the rules made there under and the resolutions passed and/or directions given and/or the principles laid down from time to time by the Bar Council and then in force.
In the event of the Enrollment Committee feeling any doubt or difficulty as to the eligibility of the person seeking admission or as to interpretation of any of the provisions of the Act, the Rules, resolutions or directions or principles, it shall refer the application to the State Bar Council for clarification of such doubt, difficulty or such question and shall finally dispose of the application in the light to the ruling and/or directions given by the Bar Council in that behalf.
If the Enrollment Committee should be of the opinion that any application for admission made to the Bar Council and referred to it for disposal ought to be rejected, it shall record its reasons in a statement and shall refer the application under Section 26(2) of the Act, for the opinion to the Bar Council of India through the Bar Council and dispose it of in conformity with the opinion of the Bar Council of India.
STEP 4: Issuing of Identity Cards and Enrollment Numbers to successful applicants
After the approval of an Application Form the Council will issue an Enrollment Number and an Identity Card confirming the members enrollment into the Bar. The Advocate can then practice Law in Delhi.