Q: When can the Enrollment Application can be obtained from Bar Council?
A: The candidates who have passed out the Law Degree can obtain the Enrolment application for enrolling themselves as Advocates directly from the head office or branch office as also from the Bar Council of Delhi Library at Tis Hazari on any working day from 10 AM to 3.30 on payment of Rs. 400/- by way of cash.
Q: Whether the Candidates can download the Enrolment Application Form from the Website?
A: Yes, downloaded Enrolment Form will also be accepted. But the candidates would be required to submit the form duly filled along with all original Certificates i.e. (SSC or equivalent to Law Degree) along with one Duplicate copy of each certificate. The Duplicate copies should be attested by Gazetted Officer. ENROLLMENT FORM , click to download
Q: How to submit the Enrollment application form?
A: After fulfilling the requirements, the candidates can file the duly filled applications along with certificates in between 10 AM to 4.30 P.M at Bar Council head office.
Q: What is the procedure for filing the enrollment application by the Retired / Non Regular Candidates?
A: The candidates who studied the Law Course while in Service has to submit the LL.B. T.C, Retirement and Relieving Orders from the Employer, Permission letter for studying Law Course issued by the Employer and Proof of working place during the study period of Law. The Service Candidates should file affidavit on Rs. 10/- non judicial stamp paper along with enrolment application, stating the facts. Non Regular candidates means those who has a gap of more than 2 years in between studies or after completion of the courses has to submit an affidavit on Rs. 10/- non judicial stamp paper stating the reasons for gap in between the studies along with Enrolment Application.
Q: When the Enrollments will take place?
A: Enrollment as advocates will be held once or twice every month, as per the date given by the office. All those applications will be entertained which have been filed prior to the said date of meeting. For getting enrolled on the very same day of meeting, the candidate would be required to submit an additional amount of Rs.3,000/- towards the Circulation Fees.
Q: What are the Certificates required for Enrollment?
A: All original Certificates i.e. (SSC or equivalent to Law Degree) along with one Duplicate copy of each one. The Duplicate copies should be attested by Gazetted Officer. The originals of all the educational certificates will be returned back after verification by the Staff except the Original Provisional and Attendance Certificates.
- LLB Degree of Original Provisional Certificate
- LLB Marksheets of each semester/year
- Graduation Degree
- Graduation Marksheets of each semester/year
- Senior Secondary Certificate or 12th Class Certificate
- Senior Secondary or 12th Class Marksheet
- Matric Certificate or 10th Class Certificate
- Matric or 10th Class Marksheet
- If left service, acceptance of resignation letter from the department
- If left service, permission letter from the department for taking admission in LLB.
- If left business, original partnership deed/dissolution deed.
- Proof of Residence of Delhi or NCR.
- Three colour photographs in Black coat, white shirt & Black tie, duly attested by one of the Advocates who filled “Certificate of Good Moral Character” printed in the application form (One with attestation on front and rest on back)
- Original Attendance Certificate confirming the attendance of 66% classes held in LLB.
Q: What are the charges for Enrollment?
A: Applicant has to pay Rs. 400/- towards purchase of Enrolment Form. After completing the same, required to deposit a sum of Rs.6,750/- in cash by way of challan to be provided by the staff at Head Office of Bar Council of Delhi. An additional fees of Rs.3,000/- to be deposited in cash by way of challan if candidate desires registration by circulation that is on the very same date itself. At the time of enrolment itself, a sum of Rs.700/- (Rs.200/- towards membership and Rs. 500/- towards subscription for 10 years @ Rs. 50/- per year) is also required to be deposited in cash by way of challan for becoming the member of Advocate Welfare Fund.
Q: What are the charges for Identity Card?
A: Applicant has to pay a sum of Rs. 100/- in cash by way of challan to be provided by the staff at the offices of Bar Council of Delhi. After filling the Identity Card Form and pasting colour photograph in Black coat, white shirt & Black tie, the same is required to be submitted with the office. The Identity Card will be sent by post to the concerned advocate within a period of one month. The fresh advocates i.e. who are enrolled in the current year are not required to pay any fees towards Identity Card, if not procured earlier.
Q: Who can be admitted as an advocate on a State roll ?
A: Subject to the provisions of Advocates Act, and the rules made thereunder, a person shall be qualified to be admitted as an advocate on a State roll, if he fulfills the following conditions, namely:
– he is a citizen of India: PROVIDED that subject to the other provisions contained in this Act, a national of any other country may be admitted as an advocate on a State roll, if citizens of India, duly qualified, are permitted to practice law in that other country;
– he has completed the age of twenty-one years;
– he has obtained a degree in law, after undergoing a three year course of study in law from any university in India which is recognized for the purposes of this Act by the Bar Council of India; or
Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (I), a vakil or a pleader who is a law graduate may be admitted as an advocate on a State roll, if he:
– makes an application for such enrolment in accordance with the provisions of this Act, not later than two years from the appointed day; and
– fulfill the conditions specified in clauses (a), (b) and (f) of sub-section (1).
Q: What are the main functions of a State Bar Council ?
A: The main functions are :
- to admit persons as advocates on its roll;
- to prepare and maintain such roll;
- to entertain and determine cases of misconduct against advocates on its roll;
- to safeguard the rights, privileges and interests of advocates on its roll and also to promote the growth of Bar Associations for the purposes of effective implementation of the welfare schemes referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (2) of this section and clause (a) of sub-section (2) of section 7;
- to promote and support law reform and also to conduct seminars and organize talks on legal topics by eminent jurists and publish journals and papers of legal interest as also to organize legal aid to the poor in the prescribed manner;
- to manage and invest the funds of the Bar Council;
- to provide for the election of its members and to visit and inspect universities in accordance with the directions given under clause (i) of sub-section (1) of section 7;
- to perform all other functions conferred on it by or under Advocates Act;
- to do all other things necessary for discharging the aforesaid functions.
Q: What are the main Committees in the Bar Council of Delhi ?
A: The main committees are:
(i) Executive Committee
(ii) Disciplinary Committee or Committees
(iii) Enrollment Committee
(iv) Election Committee
(v) Education and Examination Committee
(vi) Rules Committee
(vii) Tribunal for deciding Election Disputes
(viii) Ad-hoc Committee
In addition to above, the Committees dealing with financial aid to its members are:-
Advocates’ Welfare Fund Welfare Committee
Indigent And Disabled Advocates Committee
Q: What is the term of office of an elected Council ?
A: The term of office of an elected member of a State Bar Council (other than an elected member thereof referred to in section 54) shall be five years from the date of publication of the result of his election:
Q: What is the procedure for getting licence suspended ?
A: A simple application along with the copy of the appointment letter or other proof explaining the reason as to why the concerned advocate is seeking suspension of his licence. The concerned advocate is also required to submit his original Enrolment Certificate and the Identity Card in Original.
Q: What is the procedure for getting licence revived ?
A: Concerned is required to fill the specific format and along with the same, required to submit a copy of the letter issued by Bar Council of Delhi for suspension of his licence, copy of the retirement or resignation or other proof explaining his reason as to why the concerned advocate is seeking revival of his licence. The concerned advocate is also required to submit an Affidavit on a Rs.10/- stamp paper mentioning the facts as also submitting that he has not incurred any disqualification during the period of his suspension.
Q: What is the procedure for getting enrolled if done his LLB Course from any university outside the territory of India?
A: A person can get himself enrolled if he has done his LLB Course from any university outside the territory of India, if the degree is recognized for the purposes of this Act by the Bar Council of India.