Bar Council of Delhi has commenced the Verification exercise0
Ref. No. 882/SF/2016 —- 14th May, 2016
1. Bar Council of Delhi has commenced the Verification exercise in terms of Bar Council of
India Rules dated 12.1.2015. The Hon’ble Supreme Court has required State Bar
Council(s ) to conclude the verification exercise by 30.6.2016.
2. This Verification exercise, inter alia, involves learned advocates to fill up the application
form prescribed by the BCI in its Rules, annex the certificates, certified copies of
Vakalatnamas / cause list / any other document establishing their appearance before
the Hon’ble Courts ? along with their filled up application forms, in terms of BCI Rules
3. With a view to undertake and complete this verification exercise in terms of BCI Rules
dated 12.1.2015, the Bar Council of Delhi had got the application forms printed with
“Running Number” and had sent it by Speed Post of the Postal Department of the
Government of India, to all the advocates enrolled with the BCD till 31.12.2011. The
BCD had stipulated 15.5.2016 as the last date for submission of the filled in forms with
the completion of all the formalities.
4. On account of learned advocates / Bar Associations requesting for extension of the last
date, the Special Committee of the BCD, in its meeting held on 13.5.2016, has
extended this last date for submission of filled in forms with the completion of all the
formalities by learned Advocates latest by 06.06.2016.
5. Further, certain clarifications are required to be issued by the office of the BCD and are
ADVOCATES ENROLLED WITH THE BCD PRIOT TO 1.1.1976
6. It is clarified that Bar Council of India has informed that learned advocates enrolled
with the BCD prior to 1.1.1976 and are in practice for 40 years or more are exempted
from the production of certificates along with the Verification Forms. They are
required to submit the copy of their enrolment certificate only along with their
ADVOCATES ON RECORD AND SENIOR ADVOCATES
7. It is clarified that Verification Form “E” is applicable only for learned Senior Advocates.
Amended Rule 5(a) of BCI Rules, 2015 prescribes a fee of Rs. 500/? to be deposited by
the learned Senior Advocates with the Bar Council of Delhi along with submission of
Form “E”. Office of the BCD is sending Form “E” by Speed Post to the learned Senior
Advocates at their respective addresses available at the record of the BCD.
8. Form “E” made available by the BCI is not applicable to Advocates on Record of the
Supreme Court Advocates. They, i.e., Advocates on Record (AOR) of the Supreme Court
are required to fill up the same application form. In so far as the Senior Advocates are
concerned, they are required to fill up Form “E” and deposit (as amended).
PROCEDURE FOR PERMITTING EMPLOYEES OF RESPECTIVE BAR
ASSOCIATIONS FOR COLLECTING THE APPLICATION FORMS FROM THE
OFFICE OF BAR COUNCIL OF DELHI AT SIRI FORT
9. Learned Advocates had felt a need for their respective Bar Associations to be
authorized / permitted to collect application forms with “Running Number” from the
office of the BCD at Siri Fort. These forms with “Running Serial Number” had been sent
by Speed Post to the addresses of the advocates. A number of forms sent by Speed
Post have stood returned to the office of the BCD, on account of change of address of
the advocates or for other reasons.
10. In order to resolve the issue of botheration to each individual member to approach the
office of Bar Council of Delhi for procuring application forms which has been ascribed
as “RUNNING NUMBER”. The Special Committee of the BCD has permitted the
following procedure for the convenience of learned advocates. As per this procedure,
learned Advocates need to approach the office of the BCD at Siri Fort, through their
respective Bar Associations in NCR, Delhi for obtaining the application forms with the
ascribed “Running Number”.
11. Instead of each individual advocates approaching the office of Bar Council of Delhi, at
Siri Fort, to collect application forms, they can approach their respective Bar
Associations in NCT Delhi. Each individual advocate can give his authorization
application with copy of his Identity Card or enrolment certificate issued by Bar Council
of Delhi in favour of his / her respective Bar Association. In turn, respective Bar
Association(s) can depute one of its employee/official, who may visit the office of Bar
Council of Delhi at Siri Fort (with copy of authorization letter and his / her photo ID)
with the authorization of their members advocates for procuring the application forms
on their behalf.
12. Office of Bar Council of Delhi at Siri Fort will have counters with staff dedicated to
attend employees/officials of Bar Associations of NCT, Delhi and issue them Application
Forms with the ascribed Running Number. The Bar Council of Delhi Staff shall examine
the authorization of every such advocate, which is brought by employee/official of the
Bar Association of NCT, Delhi. If authorization is found correct, supported by copy of
Identity Card or enrolment certificate ? the authorized employee/official of the Bar
Association of NCT Delhi will be asked to come to the office of the BCD at Siri Fort, on
the next working day to collect the Application Forms. The concerned staff of Bar
Council of Delhi shall issue the application forms on the next working day to the such
authorized employee/staff of Bar Association of NCT, Delhi. It is advisable that same
employee/official should come to collect who had come earlier.
13. It is once again emphasized that the last date for submission of duly filled in application
forms with completion of formalities as also clarified above, is 06.06.2016.
-Col. (Retd.) Rajiv Sachan
Bar Council of Delhi